Your preferred office location

Extraordinary Drivers Licence

Contact us now

Have you lost your licence? Talk to us about how you might be able to get back on the road. Even if the court disqualifies you from driving, you may still be able to drive (in certain circumstances, under certain conditions): the court might consider granting you and “Extraordinary Drivers’ Licence” (or “EDL”).

What is an Extraordinary Licence?

An Extraordinary Driver’s Licence (EDL) can allow you to drive even if a court has disqualified you (subject to strict conditions). These licences are only available in certain circumstances, and are granted at the discretion of the court.

Can I get an Extraordinary licence? Who can get an Extraordinary Licence?

The simple answer is – you can only apply for and EDL if you were disqualified by a Western Australian court. Contact us for advice on your specific situation.

Who is ineligible?

You can’t apply for an EDL unless your licence was disqualified by a Western Australian court.

That means, if you fall into any of the following categories, unfortunately you cannot apply:

  • you are under a roadside disqualification notice from the police
  • you have a Licence Suspension Order for unpaid fines or infringements
  • your licence is disqualified because of excessive demerit points (including breaching Double or Nothing), or
  • your licence is disqualified in another state.

A person disqualified from driving under a demerit point suspension cannot apply for an Extraordinary Licence (EDL), BUT a Demerit Point Regime (known as Double or Nothing) is in place, and this process is administered by the Department of Transport. Any enquiries in relation to demerit point suspension should be directed to the call centre on 13 11 56 or the Department of Transport website.

For advice on your specific situation please contact us.

How do I apply for an Extraordinary Licence? What reasons do I need to give?

To get an EDL, you will need to prove to the court that if you cannot drive, either:

you or a family member will be unable to get urgent medical treatment for an existing illness, disease or disability
it will take away the main source of earning money and cause an undue financial burden on you or your family, or
you or someone in your family has no other practicable means of transport for getting to and from work.
Contact us and let one of our skilled advocates make this application to the court.

When can I make an application?

There are certain waiting periods that apply from the date on which you were disqualified by the court, before you can apply for an EDL. The amount of time you have to wait depends on why your licence was disqualified and whether you have other traffic convictions.

To find out the waiting period that applies to you, contact us for advice.

If you have already made an application and it was refused, you must wait six months before you can apply again.

How much is an Extraordinary Licence?

Contact us for a costs estimate with respect to your specific situation.

If you need emergency assistance out-of-hours please contact our Associate Lawyer Lisa Riley on (08) 9211 2604.

*This information serves as a general guide and does not constitute legal advice. It is based on our research and experience at the time of publication. Please consult our knowledgeable legal team for any specific inquiries or advice relevant to your circumstances, as the content may not have been updated subsequently.

Consult our legal team

Want to know more? Let’s chat.

If you have any questions about our services, please use the form on the right and one of our staff will respond as soon as possible.