Your preferred office location

Child Support

Learn More

Child Support Lawyers Perth

We are HHG Legal Group – leading child support lawyers in Perth, Western Australia. With over 100 years of experience in family law, we’ve consistently ensured that child support matters are resolved to best serve the interests of both our clients and the children involved. Our team of family lawyers is highly respected within the Perth legal community for their unparalleled knowledge and commitment to professionalism in child support cases. Whether you’re navigating private child support agreements, seeking advice on assessment processes, or have complicated matters requiring representation in court, we guarantee that you will receive the best legal counsel and representation.

About Us

Get Legal Assistance with Child Support Matters

Separation, especially when children are involved, brings about many uncertainties, but your children’s financial well-being should not be one of them. In Western Australia, the law mandates parents to provide financial support for their children. This financial and binding child support agreement typically continues until the child reaches 18 or concludes full-time education. However, determining how much child support is payable often requires expertise, this is where we can help.

Our Perth child support lawyers are well-versed in advising clients about these complicated matters. They’ll ensure you understand child support assessments, your obligations, and the importance of putting the child’s interests first.

Are you entitled to receive child support?

In Australia, both parents have a legal responsibility to financially support their children, regardless of whether they live with them or not. The right to child support is generally based on the child’s needs and not the parent’s relationship status or personal circumstances.

You may be entitled to receive child support if:

  1. Parental Responsibilities: You have primary care or significant responsibilities for the child(ren).
  2. Child’s Residence: The child spends more time with you than with the other parent, meaning you incur more daily expenses for their care.
  3. Financial Circumstances: The other parent has a higher income or financial capacity to support.
  4. Private Agreement Absence: There isn’t an existing private child support agreement or limited Child support agreement that specifies different terms.
  5. Child’s Age: The child is under 18 years of age and hasn’t completed their secondary education.
  6. Special Circumstances: The child has specific needs, such as medical conditions, educational needs, or other expenses, which require financial support from both parents.

It’s essential to note that child support paid out isn’t just about monthly payments. It can cover various costs, including schooling, medical expenses, extracurricular activities, and more.

How is the amount of child support determined in Western Australia?

The Child Support Agency (CSA) assesses the amount of child support payable from one parent to the other.  You can estimate how much child support you might be entitled to by using the CSA’s online child support assessment calculator. Factors that determine how much child support you might receive include:

  • Your income and the income of the other parent;
  • How much time the child or children spend/s with you (percentage of care); and
  • The age of the child.

Child support is usually paid until a child reaches the age of 18 years. However, in some cases, a parent may be required to still pay child support for a child over 18 years. If you are worried about your current situation, our team will be happy to provide advice & guidance on how to reach the best outcome for your situation.

What should you do if you are not receiving child support that is owed to you?

In general, the CSA will assist if you are not receiving the full amount of child support payments that is owed to you. However, there are some circumstances in which you may need to make an application to the Family Court in relation to the amount of child support. The court can make orders to enforce child support payments.

If you need legal advice please contact our Family lawyers on (08) 9322 1966  or Email who will provide you with advice about the relative merits of your case.

*This is general information only and does not constitute specific legal advice. Please consult one of our experienced Legal Team for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Do I need a lawyer for child support matters, or can I handle it myself?

While you can handle child support matters yourself, a lawyer can provide valuable expertise, especially in more complicated matters or disputes. They can help ensure your rights are protected and that the best interests of the child are upheld.

Can I challenge or change a child support decision made by the Child Support Agency?

Yes. If you disagree with the CSA’s decision, you can apply for an internal review. If unsatisfied with that outcome, further appeals can be made to external bodies like the Social Security Appeals Tribunal or the Family Court of WA.

Private Agreements vs CSA Assessments

Parents often face a choice: enter into a private agreement or seek an assessment from the Child Support Agency (CSA). Each route has its merits. Private child support agreements can, for example, offer flexibility to negotiate terms and can include costs like extracurricular activities or special needs. However, for a binding child support agreement, specific legal criteria must be met.

On the other hand, the child support agency (CSA) offers a structured approach to providing financial support, ensuring payments align with the other parent’s income and how much time the child spends with each parent.

Immediate Concerns? Get Help Navigating Disputes and Deadlines

If you’re contesting a child support assessment or payment, time is of the essence. Time limits apply, especially when seeking redress (looking for a solution or compensation for a wrong or harm done) in venues like the Family Court. It’s these time limits and crucial to have experienced lawyers like HHG by your side, ensuring your rights are protected and the best interests of the child remain a priority.

Contact us

How We Can Assist

From educating clients about their rights and responsibilities concerning child support to negotiating terms in a private child support agreement yourself, our team is dedicated to ensuring you have the guidance and representation you need.

Assessment Guidance

We will help you understand the child support assessment process and ensure the Child Support Agency’s decisions are fair and accurate based on each parent’s income, assessment of the child’s needs, and other relevant factors.

Private Agreements

Our team will assist you in your child support assessment, drafting and formalising private child support agreements, ensuring they are legally binding and in the child’s best interest.

Legal Representation

Your dedicated family lawyer will represent you in court or tribunals for disputes related to child support decisions, modifications, or enforcement.

Modification of Orders

We will advise you on and assist with the process of modifying existing child support orders based on changes in circumstances, such as a significant change in income, custody arrangements, or the child’s needs.


Our team will assist you in ensuring that payments are received. This might involve taking legal action against a non-compliant parent.


We will guide you through the process of appealing a decision they believe is unjust or inaccurate.

Special Circumstances

We will advise you on situations that might allow for a departure from the standard assessment, such as when a child has special needs or incurs significant medical expenses.

Negotiation & Family Mediation

We facilitate discussions between parents to reach an amicable agreement on terms without resorting to litigation.

Visit us at our Perth Office

Searching for experienced child support lawyers in Perth? You’re in the right place. Our dedicated team of family lawyers is ready to address your concerns, guide you through processes, and, importantly, offer legal advice tailored to your circumstances.

Not in Perth?

We also have offices in Mandurah, Bunbury, Joondalup, Albany and Mt Barker.

Contact us


All the following legal Information has been reviewed by a qualified lawyer, certified to practice in Western Australia on 1 November 2023.

*This information serves as a general guide and does not constitute legal advice. It is based on our research and experience at the time of publication. Please consult our knowledgeable legal team for any specific inquiries or advice relevant to your circumstances, as the content may not have been updated subsequently. 

Consult our legal team