Your selected location:
  1. Home
  2. /
  3. HHG Articles
  4. /
  5. What is a partial property settlement?
4 Jul 2017

A partial property settlement is a distribution of property (assets or money) that is distributed or paid to one party from the asset pool of separated couples, prior to a property settlement being finalised. The word ‘partial’ refers to the fact that these advances are not full and final property settlements. However, they are interim distributions to fund expenses whilst you are in the process of negotiating in proceedings seeking final property settlement.


Partial property settlement Orders are commonly characterised as being an “advance” of funds between separated spouses, prior to final Orders being made. It can counteract inequity in the parties’ access to assets and/or financial resources during negotiations or proceedings.


Why make an application for a partial property settlement?


There are a number of reasons as to why a party to Family Law proceedings might request a partial property settlement including the fact that it typically takes 1 -2 years to have a matter heard in a defended trial therefore, one party may require the assistance of an interim property settlement.


The Court is generally reluctant to make orders for partial property settlement because it takes place prior to the evidence before the Court being “tested” and a determination is made regarding final property settlement. Despite this, the Court is entitled to make such Orders as it considers ‘just and equitable’ to do so where there are circumstances that justify it in doing so. This is the threshold that any application for partial property settlements must meet.


Under what circumstances can I apply for a partial property settlement?


There are limited circumstances under the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) in which the Court is able to make orders for a partial property settlement. The criteria to be met for an application for partial property settlement to be made are as follows:


  1. A source of funds for payment can be identified;
  2. One party has the majority of control over the assets;
  3. The payment can be made without risking that the party in receipt of the partial property settlement is receiving more property than they will ultimately receive on a final basis;
  4. There is an adequate explanation for what the funds are required for; and
  5. It can be established that it is ‘just and equitable’ (fair) to make a partial property settlement order.




As an example, a partial property settlement may be required where a husband is in a position of financial strength compared his wife due to his higher earning capacity and access to funds. Upon separating, the wife may need to retain a lawyer to help her through the property settlement process, but she may have limited funds and may not have the ability to pay for her legal fees. In such circumstances, the wife may seek a partial property settlement, to pay her legal fees.


The Court will make this determination on the basis of the evidence that is before it with respect to the value of the asset pool, the initial contributions of the parties and the contributions of the parties throughout the marriage, but most importantly, if it considers it is just and equitable to do so.


How do I apply for a partial property settlement?
If you have not commenced proceedings, partial property settlement can be applied for in the interim Orders sought in your initiating documents otherwise, if proceedings are already on foot, an “Application in a Case” will need to be made.


If you would like to seek a partial property settlement order, we recommend that you speak to a Family Law specialist


This is general information only, and does not constitute specific legal advice. If you would like further information in relation to this matter or other legal matters please contact our office on Freecall 1800 609 945 or email us now.







*This is general information only, and does not constitute specific legal advice. Please consult one of our experienced Legal Team for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Supporting Western Australians for more than 100 years

"Always fast and thorough service. Thank you"


My circumstances at the time I made contact with HHG were dire following my argument being rejected by two no win no fee firms. Following my initial meeting with HHG's employment law team I was left feeling extremely positive by the response and concern shown by HHG in regards to their support of my argument along with their preparedness to pursue an outcome on my behalf.

I accept the fact that nobody really wins in these cases (mental health/ workplace) however the end result was what would be considered most favourable and far in excess of what would have been achieved had I not sought the advice from HHG.

I have no hesitation in recommending HHG to anyone caught up in the messy circumstances I found myself in at the time.

Great advice and five-star commitment to their client!!"


"Thank you for such great assistance with the transaction of Flying Domestics on behalf of Lorna Good. It has been such a pleasure to work with the HHG Legal Group and I look forward to working with you in the future."


"Simon Creek and his team were at all times empathic, professional and confident.  My matter needed to be addressed within a pressing time frame, and their availability at short notice and contact after hours was much appreciated.  It caused me considerable stress, but having such a thoroughly reliable and competent team to call on helped me to feel in control. Although I hope not to need their services again in future, I would be confident in doing so!"


"A good outcome is what we can expect.  A great outcome is a sign of a company which does the very best for their clients. A very big thank you to Daniel Morris for showing empathy towards my small and much needed legal action.

To HHG Legal Group, thank you for a great outcome.  I would recommend your company to anyone seeking legal services."


"Your support this morning was amazingly kind, not to mention your totally reassuring competence, knowledge and wisdom that you used on my behalf.  It was extremely reassuring to have your knowledgeable support, and I particularly appreciated your real and obvious kindness to me. It means so much at a very difficult time. I'm so grateful to you."

Family Law Client

"Janene was very professional and we established a good rapport quickly. The subject of death and wills can be quite confronting to deal with, however, Janene's approach was soft and accommodating."


"A big thank you to HHG for their professional service, continued support, and wide range of legal knowledge. Our clients have given us nothing but kind words regarding HHG Legal Group and so we have no hesitation in referring and recommending Simon Creek and HHG Legal Group for their outstanding services and legal expertise."


"Simon is a friendly and practical legal advisor. I have received great feedback from the clients I have referred to him and his team at HHG Legal Group."


"Over the last few years, I have been impressed by Simon’s legal ability, management skills, entrepreneurial spirit, personal integrity and people skills. He appears to be that rare breed of lawyer – both knowledgeable and commercial."


"Our family has been a client of HHG Legal Group over many years.  Business has included drawing up of wills for three generations and preparing of probate for my father in law. I would have no hesitation in recommending HHG Legal Group to anyone requiring such services."


"You should be congratulated for the manner in which your staff address clients and we found our dealings with your company, once again a very pleasant experience and we would like to truly thank you for your efforts."

Steve and Jane

"HHG Legal were absolutely fantastic. Extremely responsive and brought calm to our chaotic family situation through their knowledge and caring attitude. Extremely professional from our very first contact with them and they expertly guided our family though the required legal process over almost a 12 month period."


"Fantastic team! They really care about their client. Tim Colcutt is a 'go that extra mile' guy who gives his client his all. I can't recommend HHG and Tim enough."


"I had a fantastic lawyer in Matthew Lilly. He helped me out a great deal with good, sound advice in a friendly, professional manner. First class, thanks Matthew"


"Marine Plant Systems has been working with HHG Legal Group for a few years now and they continually provide first-class service. Their professional advice has been invaluable to our company."


"We were kept up to date at all times. Pricing was always updated over the time period so we remained "in budget". Personal access to someone whenever I had questions. All in all a great experience without too much fuss."


"Good service you can count on."


"HHG Legal Group has provided outstanding support as I have taken the journey of buying a business, their professionalism is beyond reproach. Their assistance throughout the Due Diligence process has been invaluable, I would fully recommend them."


"Very friendly and efficient service - what a pleasure working with Matthew."


"I highly recommend Daniel from HHG Lawyer in Mandurah. When dealing with a complicated legal property matter recently I was extremely impressed by Daniel's honesty and integrity and the legal advice I received. I am very happy with the service from HHG Legal."


Select your location:

Please select your nearest office location so we can show you the most relevant information.